For immediate release
Jan. 13, 2020
Contact: Alfredo Olvera
President, Dolphin Democrats
Statement in Response ahead of the Log Cabin Republicans Wilton Manors Press Conference
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - Donald Trump is no friend of the LGBTQ+ community. The Trump Administration has been abysmal for LGBTQ+ individuals in this country. He has actively worked to roll back protections and hard-fought wins achieved by our community. Below are a few of his numerous damaging policies:
- He has not officially recognized Pride Month.
- He withdrew protections for transgender individuals under Title IX.
- He signed an executive order focused on “religious liberty,” setting the groundwork to allow discrimination against the LGBTQ+ Community based on religious beliefs.
- Trump’s Justice Department stated that Title VII, which protects against employment discrimination, does not extend to LGBTQ+ individuals.
- Trump banned transgender people from serving in the military.
It is incumbent upon all organizations, regardless of their political stance, to be truthful to their memberships and to the public. As the oldest LGBTQ+ political organization in Florida, the Dolphin Democrats take that responsibility very seriously. A vote for Donald Trump in 2020 is a vote against the safety, freedom, and independence of the LGBTQ+ Community. Anyone claiming otherwise is selling a bill of false goods.
We remain committed to the fight for LGBTQ+ equality and rights. We will continue to uplift the most marginalized in our community; to register voters; to reach out to and educate our community; and to partner with allies who share our values. The 2020 election is too important to be distracted by President Trump, the Republican Party and the Log Cabin Republicans. We will stay focused on the real goal: Electing a pro-equality Democrat as president who represents the values of all Americans.